Saturday, July 23, 2005

Late July


Took Flynn, Cassidy and Chris to laser tag and then out for dim sum for Flynn's birthday. At home now waiting for Flynn to call for a ride home from Chris', they went swimming over there.

Flynn's presents that I'd ordered arrived on time and Cassidy helped wrap those yesterday. Some Lego sets and a cool toy that connects to the television and lets you battle Star Wars opponents with your light saber. He seems to be happy enough.

Diane's roommate called the other morning and asked if I knew where Diane was. I didn't, so I called around trying to locate her, a couple of police departments, several hospitals, et cetera. She was eventually located at UCSD Hillcrest and her neighbor was picking her up from there. Dr. Diamond called me that afternoon (very nice man) and brought me up to speed. Diane is back in Aurora Behavorial yet again. She became disoriented, was in two accidents and in her own words "was found wandering around." What the fuck is wrong with her, exactly? I expected her to get sick and die of some flavor or other of cancer, not fall apart into tiny pieces.

The end of the line was saying goodbye the night before her first ECT session. A beautiful warm night and a visit to a courtyard with high fences full of depressed people who were mostly all chainsmoking. I told her it was getting harder and harder to relate to any of what she was going through. She was hopeful about the ECT at that time.

I remember cancelling her ECT last July 13th. It didn't seem to be doing her any good and she was completely out of it for a day and a half. Frightening. I wonder if the cumulative effect of all the brain-chemical-tweaking drugs she's been given hasn't taken a toll of its own. Those drugs seem worse than whatever was afflicting her.

She seemed happy enough last Saturday, when she drove the kids to Doheny Beach near Dana Point so she could get baptized. I had no idea she was taking the kids that far. The weekend before that I believe she'd driven them to her parent's house in Mission Viejo. Someone had rear-ended her car on the trip home.

I certainly don't want the kids to be with her when she becomes disoriented. I don't want her to drive the kids anywhere. She's not well and I don't want the kids exposed to potential danger because she suddenly drops out of orbit or whatever terms you'd like to use for what happened.

Cassidy became frightened in the laser tag maze and we left after just a couple of minutes and waiting in the "vesting room." Laser tag looked like fun. The lasers seemed brighter than when I'd been with Flynn a couple of years ago.

Oh well. Glad that's over with. Go pick Flynn up from Chris' when Flynn calls. We were going to go with his friend Kody but Kody wasn't there when we went to pick him up.

Weighed myself on Thursday and hadn't lost any measureable weight. Arrgh. Frustrating. Maybe I have to go back and hit the treadmill twice a day and NOT EAT ANYTHING... God, doesn't that sound like fun?

The kids just like to slug around at home. So what? Take them along, throw them in child care, let them suffer. Exercise. I've got to cut out everything else but water... heated and filtered through coffee grounds, of course...

Glad Flynn's birthday is over. Mike and Pat e-mailed and said they'd come by tomorrow to get the kids. Hopefully Pat is doing better.

One week and two days left of summer school. I'll be glad to not have to get up and get the kids up and get Flynn to summer school on time. He showed me some of his math results the other day and on one test which made up 20% of his grade he got a ZERO. I was dumbstruck. What the fuck gives? I swear he expects an angel to come whisper the answers in his ear. It's a job to get him to use scratch paper. Drives me nuts.

Time to go set up a tape for Teen Titans. A new episode. The kids will enjoy watching it later.