Sunday, December 24, 2006

From an e-mail to Kelly

I bought another half-ham at the local good butcher shop. We had one over Thanksgiving, too. Flynn and I thought it was incredible. Cassidy was not impressed. The cats were beside themselves over the ham. I had it wrapped in foil paper, and every time I do anything with foil paper they'll both instantly materialize at the sound of it. "Ham? Ham? Any ham?" say the cats, in unison.

I finally got around to planting three "shrub roses" which I'd had for months. And a collection of bedding plants. And a couple of shrimp plants. And a culphea. And some stray bulbs. So, for me, that was tremendous progress.

I've been buying four bins (a day, sometimes) at Target, those 70-quart/65-liter bins with lids that clamp onto the bin. And putting any and all clutter in them. I'm within three or four more bins of containing ALL our clutter. I'm excited about the idea. I wonder if Target is open tomorrow, Christmas Day..? Certainly they'll be open on Tuesday morning.

I want one more bin for the stock air intake and filter that came with the truck. I had them replaced. I think that Flynn's saxophone and trumpet will both fit in another bin. A third bin can hold all things painting related (except paint).

I already have a bin for hardware and a bin for toys (including two Razor scooters) and a bin for garden items and tools and plant food. Another bin has the power tools in it.

I finally rounded up ALL the aluminum cans. It always seems like a good idea to set them aside, then after nine months or a year you have a MOUNTAIN of aluminum cans, and it seems that whenever I go to try and turn them in the little scruffy guy at the recycling storage container isn't there... probably off frying a muskrat or something.

And one more bin for camping items. Better add that to the list.

This morning I woke up around 2:30 and didn't go back to sleep. Went out to the bagel place and bought a dozen bagels and a large coffee. Split the coffee 80/20 with Flynn.

Diane came by with Gail and Theresa to pick up the kids. Flynn and I washed her car. Not happy with Diane driving the kids anywhere.

I ought to do a partial water change on the big aquarium. I actually thought of making a cheesecake earlier today, I believe I have all the ingredients, but the last few times I've made that recipe it's just unbelievably heavy. Hmm, I have a recipe for a "pumpkin chiffon cheesecake" that I intended to make earlier this fall... I wonder if I can find it?