Friday, April 22, 2005



I'd emptied the tapes out of one of the ice chests before visiting Mom and I sifted through the pile of videotapes and cassettes last night and pretty much all of them are stacked on the washing machine pending transfer to the trash can. I just don't need all those cassettes and tapes. Most of the old science fiction movies I love are available on DVD. I don't have time to digitize and tweak hundreds of Grateful Dead tapes.

I'd rather have the empty space -- I'd rather have nothing instead of having tapes. I don't want things. I'd like to digitize the old camcorder tapes, I worked on a couple of those when I first got the iMac.

I tossed the stereo equipment. I guess I could use the Walkman to output the cassettes. But when? And why? Can't I just buy shows from dead.net? I recently bought 5/19/77. The car doesn't have a cassette player. The thirty-gig iPod has 2.5 gigs left. I just have too much stuff available. I just don't need it. I'm tired of it taking up space and being something "that I'll get around to eventually." Like the '65 bus. I had it for five years. Well, I was busy with the kids, and I will be for the next ten years or so. The bus had to go. The '76 had to go in favor of a never-fix car with A/C and a heater. The guitars went. The exercise equipment went, took up too much space and it made too good a coatrack. Get RID of stuff. Empty the space I have available.

Go through the filing cabinet. Pick out the important bits. Get RID of the rest of it. Just get RID of it. I got rid of the VW tools after I realized that I no longer needed them. I got rid of the remaining shed -- I didn't like the way it looked. I only needed it for Diane's dog circus stuff. There's some stuff from Flynn's room in the garage that I want to get rid of. I got rid of the camping stuff after the final sour camping trip. Things have changed. Time to drop some ballast.

I want to drag the kids to the market and Home Depot this morning whether they like it or not. Buy groceries for the weekend. I want to buy more lawn seed at Home Depot along with some amendment and some flowers to plant this weekend. Clean up the front garden area if possible this weekend. Clean things up. Transplant the fresh-laundry-smelling shrub closer to the house. Rework the bricks near the air conditioner, remove and replace those after digging the soil up beneath it... improve drainage.

Get rid of the rest of the debris from the lawn project. CLEAN IT ALL UP. Get rid of stuff.

Plant some flowers near the black gate. I had sown some seeds there but there's enough space to add flowers.

The lawn looks pretty good, it could stand a first mowing. Very pleased to look out of the window and see green and not brown.