Monday, April 25, 2005

Monday

Expecting a Firewire cable to be delivered tomorrow. I'll use that to digitize the camcorder tapes. I'm also expecting a file cart with folders to be delivered tomorrow. Made a list of household accounts. Left the $20 filing cabinet out for the recycling. An actual filing cabinet will be useful to keep things organized.

Have several piles of bills and papers on the floor near my desk. I have virtually no clutter left at all. A drawer in the tool chest full of product manuals, another drawer full of photographs and negatives and slides. More photographs in other drawers. A LOT of photographs. A big drawer full of data CDs. But I've really been ruthless about getting rid of stuff this time around. The most productive cleaning frenzy I've ever been in.

The cassettes are going or gone along with a lot of videotapes. I've ordered DVDs of most of the movies I like well enough to want to watch again. Shitty science fiction movies aren't worth collecting or having around. I don't need all kinds of weird clutter. I don't need ANY weird clutter. I could have used a larger trash can.

I didn't put the trash can out last Monday since we were going to go visiting. So I put out some regular trash in a plastic trash bag. And some recycling. Today the trash can was full and heavy. Lots of videotapes and cassettes on top of it.

Looking forward to having the Firewire cable and getting the camcorder tapes digitized. Then get rid of the camcorder and the tapes. Looking forward to the filing cabinet arriving and filing all that stuff away once and for all, logically. I just don't need to save a bunch of weird stuff. And now most of it is gone. Get rid of stuff. Don't acquire more stuff. Have what we need and that's more than enough. No more clutter. Ever.

Scan in the photographs.

Have an external 80Gb drive arriving. The internal HD is nearly full. Amazing. Digitize more photographs. Get rid of the paper photographs.

Still have more cleaning to do in the yard and garden.

Expecting the newest revision to the Mac OS at the end of the week. Play with that next Saturday. Also ordered 100 blank CD-Rs and 100 cases. Go through old CDs and evaluate what I have on them, burn new CDs without the useless crap.

Go through the video games and get rid of the ones the kids don't play any more. Get rid of that clutter. Keep what we use and what we need. Get rid of the rest. We don't need a larger house, we need less clutter.

I set aside a few VHS tapes with MNF games on them, try digitizing those and burning them to DVDs. THEN GET RID OF THE TAPES. Definitely sick of seeing stacks of videotapes and/or cassettes around. Digitize it, takes up no real space that way. Maybe a DVD as a backup. No endless boxes of clutter. No one puzzling about what to do with this trash when I'm dead.

Nearly time to go and collect Cassidy.